Saturday, September 18, 2010

My Journey Begins

Hello,
My name is Gabrielle Jane Sink and I was born on June 24, 2009.  I was born with a very rare neurological condition called Hydranencephaly (click link to learn more)  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydranencephaly.  At first, no one was clear of my diagnosis.  Doctors thought I was having seizures because I had uncontrollable body movements and I was unable to regulate my body temperature.  My arm kept moving and I was having a hard time controlling it.  I had several test done but know one could figure out what was wrong with me.  The doctors at the hospital where I was born decided that a more experience hospital should evaluate me to see if they could figure out what was going on with me.  I was transferred to Cincinnati Children's Hospital where they took excellent care of me.  While I was there they did a cat scan and came to the conclusion that my brain never developed.  I was living with only my brain stem.  My mommy and daddy were taken to a private room where the doctor informed them of my diagnosis.  Doctor stated that most kids with my condition die before the age of one and that made mommy and daddy very sad.  I on the other hand new that I was a fighter and that I was going to show everyone what great strength and courage I had.  This is where my journey begins.   

No comments:

Post a Comment