Sunday, January 29, 2012

Reunited Angels





He had the most beautiful blonde hair, skin as soft as an angel, and a smile that would melt your heart. His name was Andrew Chance Garcia, a heavenly angel sent from God. I had the honor of meeting Andrew, his Mom...Sarah, his Dad...Jerry, his oldest sister....Katie, and his sister....Emmie on October 23, 2010. I often find myself thinking back on this visit and how meeting this beautiful child and his family changed not only my life, but my daughter's life as well.

I received a call from Drew's mom, Sarah shortly after our arrival home. Her family, was traveling and would be coming near our part of town. It was only months earlier that I had met Sarah through an online support group for those who had children with Hydranencephaly. We quickly, hit it off and she was one of the many that helped bring the "momma bear" out of me when Gabby was hospitalized. I became so excited, and although Gabby was not in the best of health, I thought this may be a good oppurtunity for Gabby and myself.

Although I was eager for the visit, I had my fears too. My daughter Gabby, born with Hydranencephaly was kept a sheltered life. I did everything I could to protect my daughter from illness, and this meant avoiding children due to fear of her being exposed to germs. Gabby had just returned home after a month stay at Children's Hospital due to chronic infections and a shunt surgery. I must admit that I was afraid of this visit being too much on her so soon, but I knew that Gabby needed to experience spending time with a child her own age and same condition. I just knew in my heart it would do her good.

October 23, 2010 was a day that I remember like it was yesterday. It was warm, and perfect weather for Gabby and I to stroll up the street to meet the Garcia family at the lake. We greeted one another and I immediately fell in love with Drew the moment I saw him. His eyes so big, and his smile that went from ear to ear. We went back to our house and just talked like we knew each other for years. I have never met such a kind loving family.

The time came where Jerry decided to take Katie and Emmie back to the RV so Drew and Gabby could have some time alone with their mommies. We laid them on a blanket and just let them interact. The reaction we got out of the two was priceless. Drew, never took his eyes off Gabby. He would sing to her and do everything he could to get her attention (even trying to bite her shoulder). Gabby, spent her first few minutes playing hard to get and slept. Once Drew got her attention though, she woke up and joined him by trying to grab his hand, holding his arms, and just making beautiful conversation that only those two could understand. From that moment on, we knew we had a special, unique friendship that would last an eternity.

Sarah and I took photos of these two and have cheerished these photos from that day on. Gabby passed away that following November. I always told Sarah that Gabby had met her goal in life and that was meeting Drew. These two had a bond that was like no other. I believe that God sent them to one another, and I beleive that he sent Sarah and I to one another as well.

Sarah and I have remained close since our first meeting and always talk about that day in October when Gabby found her best friend Drew...her soulmate. Sadly, Drew passed away on January 29, 2012. His parents are deeply grieving his loss and are just trying to make it second by second. I will never forget that day when this beautiful angel came into our lives. I truly believe that God brought these two togehter. As difficult as today has been, I just know that Gabby and Drew are hand in hand in Heaven, playing in God's garden with all the other angels.

1 comment:

  1. I love you Andrew! You will forever be in my heart! Send heavenly kisses to your mommy and daddy and tell Gabby, I love her!

    ReplyDelete