Sunday, January 30, 2011

Don't Be Afraid

Her pictures are scattered throughout my room and within the house.  Her molded hand and feet prints are next to my bed along with a baggie of her hair from the hospital.  As I lay down for bed, her blankets and stuffed unicorn that I received from her hospice nurses lay next to me.  I wrap my  arms tightly around those things as I fall to sleep each night.  This helps me to cope and makes me feel comforted.

As a parent who is new to grief, I find myself asking the questions "why wont anyone mention my daughter's name"?  I don't take offense to this, because I know the answer to that question.....they are afraid.  They have not forgotten my daughter, they are afraid to mention her name because of fear it may hurt me and make me cry.  Don't be afraid when you see me to ask "how I am doing", don't be afraid to mention "Gabby's" name, and definitely don't be afraid to talk about her memories and say "Remember when Gabby held her own bottle".

You see, the only thing I am afraid of is people forgetting about Gabby.  Gabby was an amazing child who gave so much to so many in such a short time.  I want everyone who knew her to remember her and allow her legacy to live on.  If her name is mentioned, I will likely cry, but not because you made me think of her.  There isn't a minute of the day that goes by where I am not thinking of her.  My tears will be from the pain and hurt of losing her, not because her name was mentioned.  They will be tears of joy as well, it means someone has kept my daughters memory alive, and for that I will be forever grateful.

Please Don't Be Afraid.....   

No comments:

Post a Comment